Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Going Commando


One of the pleasures of the summer while in the South is the wearing of a short skirt. And some of us more impetuous ones would tempt fate by "going commando"; that is, by not wearing panties. Tempting fate with the unpredictable March winds. Now I suppose this would, over time, lead to a most reduction in laundry, but not by very much.

Where did that expression come from? Did it have anything to do with the British Commandos? Those are the guys that wear kilts, right?

I decided to do a little research. Maybe I could even write a short guest column for the local newspaper, or submit an article to a journal; not in my field, I called uped up the Commandos.

After going through several layers of secretaries and enlisted guys, I wound up talking with the Colonel. His voice was the epitome of British charm and a delightful accent. I asked some preliminary questions, especially about the uniform and traditions of the Commandos. He was most courteous, and forthright. Apparently the Commandos had a distinguished tradition!

Finally, I got to the big guestion: Do Commandos go commando, and how did that custom come about. Instantly my Colonel (as I came to think about him) became a trifle guarded, and he said: "I'm sorry, Miss, but I can't disclose that. Doing so is forbidden by the Official secrets Act." Apparently I had intruded into a very sensitive area. My bad. But, in doing an internet search, I found some information, illustrated above.



5 comments:

  1. Fascinating! This is good to know for cocktail party conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skirt or kilt - no matter. With legs like mine, it's pants all the way. You can guess about the underwear.

    ReplyDelete