Monday, April 8, 2019

Overreaching to Be Indignant About Something

Call me insensitive, but maybe some people are too easily prone to wax indignant.

I read in the Washington Post that a group of high school students in Chevy Chase, MD* got upset because a student-generated list rated a number of the girls on looks. And the power of authority came down hard, assigning one boy to detention. But, more to the point, this rated a story in the WaPo!

Is Tuesday now a slow news day? Has The Donald been that inactive and suddenly laconic so as to not fill that newspaper? Is Washington so crime-free and Arcadian so that nothing newsworthy ever happens. Has Congress collectively taken a vow of silence?

We live in strange times; but this takes the cake.

A reminiscence: when I was in h.s., I was on another list. Assessing the endowments of various students. I was nicknamed Heidi Without Alps.

My point is, there is a lot of big-time sexual harassment going on out there. For Christ's sake, go for that; and don't waste time on piddling things! This is nothing more than lazy journalism surfing on a superficial problem while ignoring big-time problems.


*I didn't know he was that important to rate a town being named after him!

2 comments:

  1. The world has gone pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just part of the anti-bully campaign going on these days.

    ReplyDelete